Well this is sort of a carry thread from the rx8 owners club so if you want to read though all 10 (and counting) pages then check this link out Click Here Otherwise read on.
First the very short version of how I came to doing this, I went to a dealer brought the car got ripped off, engine was a screwed, at the time did not have to money to pay someone to rebuild so decided with little engineering experience and no experience working on cars to rebuild the engine myself. As it turns out I now have 2 rx8's and a spare engine all being rebuilt by myself
First was the very long process of pulling the engine out of the car, unfortunately I did not take any pics of this and it took about 2 months to do. The main reason it took so long was that I did not have many of the tools required and ordered them as i went so had to wait for delivery. The weather did not help either. But after much work I got the engine out.
I then started the engine tear down process.
Yes that engine is sitting on my freezer lol. Anyway I then started the process of the sorting and cleaning.
Image below shows all the little bits in their own box (not cleaned yet)
Stripped rotor (not yet cleaned)
Cleaning out the seal slots
Oil the gap and rub
There was a lot of rubbish in the groves
The one on the left has been cleaned with cataclean, the one on the right is what it looked like before. Still some way to go yet.
And the rotors all cleaned (with old bearing still in). The rust is because they went though the dishwasher (wont do that again).
The process of checking the side plates.
Here you can see the heavy carbon deposits in the ports.