Users Country Flag
    Car Model
    RX8
    Colour
    Velocity Red
    HP
    RX8 HP

Looking for advice! (FD)

Well here goes, for several years already I am looking to expand my car collection with a Rx7 FD. Due to not so very funny reasons, I had to put it on hold many times. But now I should be able to purchase one as a Multi year project, but only if it seems doable. And due to utterly annoying laws, it will have to be as old as possible, so I am able to put it on the road as an oldtimer in a few years (+25 years)

Therefor I am making my list, what I would want to do with the car and how much it would set me back.

I already know what to do with the exterior. But the engine and its surroundings are still a bit vague. I have been reading alot and searching my ass off, but I still dont have all the answers I need.

The plan is to keep it "normal". So that means no +500hp build, as I am more interested in overall balance.
    Somewhere between 350 and 400 would be nice.

Now my question is, what do I need to make this happen to have a very driveable car for street and track use?

-Do I stay with the twins (seq or non seq), wether its an upgraded version or not, or do I go single?
    - Vmount vs FMIC?
    - Porting?
    - Fuel system upgrade?
    - Intake?
    - Which ECU? Extra gauges needed?
    - Water/meth system?
    - Any other upgrades I am missing perhaps?

Helpfull information, all the emissions crap will be gone as it wont need to pass an emissions test, once it is officially oldtimer.

While we are at it (I know it doesnt belong here but it does add up to the complete build)
    - Can the stock brakes handle 400hp max (with decent pads, brake lines, fluid, discs)?
    - What is a very good coilover set for the FD (I have KWv3 for my Rx8 and I absolutely love it)
    - Are aftermarket strutbars needed? If so which ones are recommended?
    - Same goes for swaybars.

If I am missing something that I need to know before I even decide to buy one, plz feel free to educate me

Administrator bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse's Avatar
    Car Model
    Westfield Megabusa
    Colour
    Chrome Yellow - Carbon Fibre
    HP
    'nuff

I would build a single turbo setup using a relatively small GTX3076 turbo, a mildly ported engine and a front mount intercooler. An Apexi PFC should be enough ECU Wise.

KW Makes good shocks, just like Ohlins, Moton etc. As long as you don't buy chinese stuff you'll be more than set for street use.
    You'll have to upgrade the brakes. That's for sure. Better calipers (AP Racing, Alcon come to mind), pads and hoses.
    Sways and struts may or may not be needed to further tune the car, that's up to your needs

There are many rx7 for sale on pistonheads. Some of them reflect your desired tuning level. I'd buy one of them, rebuild the engine and use any more money to fix other age related issues
    Milk the mad cow!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    You don't need a reason, just some steel, a welder and bloody big hammer!
    http://www.zazzle.co.uk/rotaryheaven

Senior Member Knet is on a distinguished road Knet's Avatar
    Users Country Flag
    Car Model
    RX8
    Colour
    Velocity Red
    HP
    RX8 HP

Does the fuel system have to be upgraded for the powerlevels i am wanting to achieve?

The only thing I dont like on upgraded brakes is, on the front you have a big ass caliper and disc, and the rear remains stock size. That difference looks like poo

Administrator bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse is a splendid one to behold bse's Avatar
    Car Model
    Westfield Megabusa
    Colour
    HP
    'nuff

You have to upgrade everything from the fuel pump to the injectors on a 20-something years old car that's going to see a nice bump in power.

Who spoke about off the shelf solutions brake wise? Find a good F\R calipers and disc combination and build the brake system from the ground up
    Milk the mad cow!

Senior Member Knet is on a distinguished road Knet's Avatar
    Users Country Flag
    Car Model
    RX8
    Colour
    Velocity Red
    HP
    RX8 HP

Oh, where do I start looking for those? I have absolutely no experience in that. Is it possible to keep the handbrake?

Car Model
    Westfield Megabusa
    Colour
    HP
    'nuff

You might need a small dedicated caliper to work with the handbrake. Check their websites anyway, it's a lot of material to read but it's well worth it.
    Milk the mad cow!

+ Reply to Thread